Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A big thank you to a little cat

Please forgive a personal note in a blog that usually focuses on technology and business. I was fired by my now former employer last Friday. I'm 53 years old, and this is the first time in my life that I've ever been fired. As you might expect, I've been depressed, but I have a little bundle of love and support in my corner. Her name is KayTee. I adopted her from a no-kill shelter in Huntley, IL in January of last year (and thank God for no-kill shelters.)

KayTee is incredibly affectionate, playful and smart. She's with me wherever I go in my apartment; last year, when the weather was good, she insisted that I walk her around the neighborhood. Now that I'm spending a lot more time at home, she seems to understand that something's wrong, and she's giving me even more support.

If you're able, please adopt a shelter pet. They'll love you for life, and you'll have a true friend who'll be there for you. If you're not able to adopt, please consider finding a no-kill shelter where you live and making a small contribution. These shelters save the lives of countless pets that would otherwise be euthanized. That would undoubtedly have been KayTee's fate if the Animal House Shelter hadn't been there for her.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting your story for everyone to read and I'm happy that you chose to adopt a cat from a shelter. You'd be surprised at how many beautiful animals they have for adoption. I adopted a shelter cat last year after not having a pet for 9 years and I'm glad I did. It's wonderful that you found something to make you happy during this time in your life.